Episode 11: Should You Go Freelance?
Welcome to the eleventh episode of the Cocktails & Content Creation Podcast! For this episode, we’re talking about going freelance, a huge subject that many content creators face at some point in their careers. And we’re chatting about it with Mia Scharphie, who coaches women at all points of their careers whether they’re working the 9 to 5, thinking about going freelance, or have established their own business.
In our eleventh episode you’ll learn:
- What going freelance really means and why it isn’t just about being able to “be your own boss” and “name your own workdays and salary”
- Why a huge step to going freelance is combating your inner critic as well as how to overcome those insecurities by pushing yourself to venture outside of your comfort zone
- Why you should have a long term vision with short term approaches to really understand what steps you need to talk to get there
- How to rely on relationship building to get clients within your existing network
- Why having a business bestie for accountability and to bounce ideas off of can be a huge help in your freelance career
- Why your first step to career happiness may be checking in with your boss before you make the jump to freelancing
- Why you should set boundaries with your clients, even when you’re just starting out
About our Guest:
Mia Scharphie is a creative agent of change, a do-er, and a big-picture thinker. She founded Build Yourself to help women in creative fields, design and engineering move past the obstacles that hold them back in their businesses and careers, and to make their industries and workplaces better places for women's talent.
Named a 'cheerleader with devil horns' by students, Mia is skilled at helping ambitious and creative women see beyond limiting mindsets to envision--and achieve--more than they thought was possible for themselves--on their own terms. Mia is a trained facilitator, who's run a research effort on women in social impact design for the Harvard Business School. She's a founding member of the Equity Roundtable at the Boston Society of Architects and was named as one of Impact Design Hub’s Social Impact Design 40 under 40.
Thanks for Listening!
Links & Resources:
- Build Yourself Workshop
- Mia Scharphie on Twitter
- Mia Scharphie on Instagram
- Mia Scharphie on LinkedIn
- Email Mia
- Mia’s Cocktails & Content Creation guide to identifying your top limiting beliefs
Until next time, cheers to your next cocktail and happy content creating!
Hosts of “The Cocktails and Content Creation Podcast”